Green tea is probably one of the most recognizable items that we've mentioned on Superfood Friday, but do you actually know the benefits? As one of the most popular teas – hot or cold – green tea has many health and skin benefits. The next time you're ordering a drink, you might want to order a green tea, because chances are that it'll help you live longer, give you a healthy glow, and help protect your skin from sun damage.
Here are 8 health benefits of green tea:
1. Prevents skin damage. Green tea contains polyphenol, which has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Antioxidants and anti-inflammatories protect your skin from the sun's harmful rays.
2. Decreases wrinkles. Anti-inflammatories and anti-oxidants can also fight back against aging. If you have wrinkles, green tea is said to help clear and plump your skin.
3. Weight loss. The polyphenol in green tea also increases metabolism, which burns your body fat.
4. Improves your cholesterol levels. Decrease your bad cholesterol levels and increase the good cholesterol with green tea.
5. Gives you energy. If you need a pick-me-up during the day, green tea can be a natural way of gaining energy. The caffeine in green tea can give you a boost, but be sure not to drink it two hours before bedtime.
6. Lowers risk of cancer. Green tea contains antioxidants, which can prepare your body to fight off cancer including breast cancer, prostate cancer, and colorectal cancer.
7. Protects the brain. Catechin compounds are found in green tea, which can have various protective effects on neurons and potentially lower the risk of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease.
8. Dental health. Catechins can also kill bacteria, which means that green tea can fight bacteria in your mouth, providing you with better dental health and also provides protection against viruses.